Driving behaviour change to improve family health in Kenya
Funders: DFID and Unilever
Programme Dates: 2017 – 2020
U Afya is the sister programme to U Join – a sustainable digital business model which transforms local Kenyan shopkeepers (duka owners) into effective catalysts for health promotion and behaviour change amongst consumers in low-income households through an e-vouchering scheme.
U Afya is a mobile platform for young mothers that combines supply and demand-side solutions and SBCC for health and nutrition outcomes. It brings the private and development sector together to deliver:
- Increased nutritional knowledge
- Increased access to affordable water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH) and nutrition products
- Commercial value, market research and social mission for corporates.
We wanted to build an engaging and scalable mobile community that reached mothers and mothers-to-be to increase their nutritional knowledge and decision-making confidence, provided behaviour change messaging and promoted hygiene best practices for themselves and their children.
Every1Mobile is leveraging the evidence and learnings from our research and rapid testing phases to facilitate cross-cutting behaviour change approaches to drive measurable impact. The solution includes a range of free online courses, expert advice, peer-to-peer support and e-vouchering services.
- 3,900+ mothers and mothers-to-be registered to access health and hygiene support, information and vouchered products
- 6 live e-learning courses on hygiene, nutrition and maternal health
- On average, 99% of participants surveyed expressed increased confidence about being able to maintain a clean and hygienic household
- On average, 95% of participants surveyed reported that they felt confident in their ability to make a well-balanced breakfast consisting of the five food groups
- On average, 94% of participants surveyed correctly answered knowledge questions on handwashing with soap
Keep up to date with the programme as it continues to grow by signing up to our newsletter.